Welcome back for our second installment of move safety tips in honor of National Safety Month. Last week we discussed keeping your stress low to avoid accidents during the move process. Daly Movers hopes we got our movers in Orange County thinking about their well-being during the move process. This week we turn our attention to packing safety.
When packing up your belongings prior to your move, you want to consider your safety, your family’s safety and the safety of your items. Daly Movers would like to offer a simple check list for helping movers in Orange County with this.
1. Proper packing equipment-Strong sturdy boxes are a must to avoid accidents involving items falling out the bottom. You also want to avoid boxes that may collapse at the sides while carrying them which may cause you to lose your footing. Daly Movers can provide you with high quality boxes, supplies and moving kits to ensure you have the best material for packing up your goods. For more information, call us today.
2. Check your environment for hazards-Before moving boxes, check to make sure the floor and surrounding area is clear of anything you could trip or slip on such as cords, toys, wet slippery spots, etc.
3. Box weight- Consider that you may have to carry boxes up and down stairs. You should be able to lift your box without strain while remaining sturdy and strong on your feet. To avoid injury, do not over-pack with too much weight. You know your strength. Don’t overdo it!
4. Healthy lifting-Avoid strain on your back; do not bend over to lift a box. Instead, squat balancing your upper body weight over your hips and lift using your leg strength keeping your back straight as you stand. Also have a dolly with straps for moving and stacking your boxes. Also be sure to wear good strong sturdy footwear to support you and give you proper footing.
5. Family safety-Keep small children and pets safely away from the packing area. You don’t want tape cutters falling into the wrong hands or a stack of boxes that look like a fun place to climb and explore.
6. Protect your belongings-You want your items to have the best chance of arriving at your new home intact. Please visit Packing Help for the best ideas and tips for packing up every room in the house. Of course, Daly Movers is available to help movers in Orange County with any part of packing. We can pack everything for you or just certain items of high value. We will meticulously wrap your belongings with the utmost care to ensure maximum protection.
Pack safely and be safe! Our next installment will feature safety on move day. We hope you’ll come back for more move safety tips. Movers in Orange County can trust Daly Movers to provide a safe move.